- Everytime I wash my hands in the bathroom at work, I use 1 papertowel instead of 2 now. According to my math, that will be about 1,000 less papertowels used in a year just from 1 person.
- A friend at work, who is a bit of a germ-a-phobe, was using 4-5 superstrength papertowels every day at lunch to cover the table for her tupperware to sit on. I brought her a cotten placemat and she uses it every day now instead of the papertowels.
- Because I do a lot of printing at work, I now print doublesided to use less paper.
- We have curbside recycling at our house but hadn't taken advantage of it because we didn't have the city bin for it. I went to the place where you get your bin but they were all out and on back-order. I asked if I could use one of our old bins from when we lived in other cities and the man said that should be fine. So now we are recycling again. It really is amazing how much less "trash" you have at the curb when you recycle.
- Now this actually required some work but I started a vegetable garden. I don't know all the reasons why this is "green" but I figure it's less plastic bags that I would use if I were buying vegetables at the store.
- When Georgia spills something or we need to wipe up a mess, we use a washcloth or towel instead of papertowels.
Now that I'm in this mindset, I'm always looking for ways that I can be more green. I'm not going to drive less by finding someone to carpool with because that's just not practicle when you have kids. But, like my list, there are some things that are so easy that there's just no reason not to do them. Let me know your ideas of things we can do. Post a comment.
3 comments:
carrie - those are great ideas! when i met scott, i thought it was weird that he didn't own paper towels. now, i always think it's odd when people use paper towels instead of washcloths or dish towels to wipe up spills! he has been a good influence. i also thought the placemat at work was genius! great ideas. thanks for sharing!
I started to do the following over the last year or so:
1) When a lightbulb burns out I buy the energy saving bulbs
2) Just started buying green/eco friendly dish soap, laundry detergent, cleaners, etc. They are sold everywhere now so not hard to do! I also feel better using them with Eli.
3) Try to use cold water to do laundry as much as possible
4) Signing up for as many bills as possible online vs. paper
Recycling is on my list to start but it is hard because in Independence trash is private so we have to use our trash company and it costs $ :( I am TERRIBLE about paper towels and every day I think how bad it is and I need to stop! I think going to garage sales is also a "green" thing to do! Oh, and something else I never remember is to bring my own coffee mug to Starbucks....
You are so lucky you have curbside recycling. We used to pay extra for it but then they stopped offering it as an option. Now we have FOUR bins in our garage and we have to take it to a recycling center on our own...where we are then asked to give a monetary donation!!! We do it anyway...but would love to get rid of it on weekly basis. Independence is soooo behind! Tell me how your garden goes. I love to do it next year, but don't have a clue how to do it! Miss Georgia is as cute as ever!
Post a Comment