Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Habla Espanol

Sometimes I get intimidated by the thought of doing a new post on the blog. Do I have enough time, do I have all my pictures ready, do I remember what all I was going to write about? So I'm going to try to do more quick posts...little updates. Most likely they won't include pictures but at least it will help me to get my thoughts down as I think of them rather than waiting a month and then forgetting most of them.

Because of the cut-off date being so close to my niece's birthday, she can't start kindergarten for another year. The school's don't allow testing into kindergarten early, even though she can read all her books and is already at a 1st grade level. Georgia's birthday is a couple weeks later which means she'll also start kindergarten late. Someone was recently telling me that she was surprised that schools expect kids to know their numbers, letters and colors when they enter kindergarten. I thought...if Georgia already knows those and she's not even 2 and has 4 more years before she'll start K, will school be boring for her? I want to keep teaching her new things but I don't want focus on things that she'll learn in school. So we've started teaching her Spanish. I took 3 yrs of it in highschool and Ben knows some too so we teach what we remember and get some refreshers from Dora. Already Georgia is using some words regularly. She interchangeably uses hola/hello, adios/goodbye, te amo/I love you, and tonight when I told her gracias she replied "de nada". It's been kind of fun for me to think of what words I know and can remember from 15 years ago. Wow, that just made me feel old. I wish Georgia could be around someone who is fluent to hear how they pronounce words. Apparently this is the best time to learn a 2nd language and learn it so that she won't sound like an American trying to speak a foreign language.

3 comments:

amosclarkson said...

How fun! I, too, wonder about how Eli will do starting kindergarten late. I'll have to explore our options as the time grows closer.

amosclarkson said...

Oh, and I keep a running list of what I want to write about on the blog each week...helps me remember!

Sarah & Scott said...

Carrie - do you guys plan to stay on the Missouri side? Kansas has a later cut-off date, i think. Though it's early to think about, Greta will be in that same situation, because she is an August baby. We are planning on moving within the next few years, and though we're not sure where we will go, we are thinking the KS side might be a good option because Greta could go to school with the later cut-off date.