Tuesday, February 26, 2008

6 months old

Georgia turned 6 months old yesterday. It's amazing how much joy she brings to our lives every day. I used to wake up wishing I could just go back to sleep and not have to get up and get ready for work. Now every morning I wake up excited to go get Georgia out of her crib and see her smile and give her kisses. Lately she's been kissing back. She grabs my face (really hard till it hurts) , opens her mouth and blows on my cheek. I look forward to every moment that I get with her and now that she's so responsive and playful, I LOVE the weekends because I get so much time with her rather than just a couple hours before bedtime. Although I've developed a bad habit of never getting out of my pajamas on the weekend because I just want to play with her the whole day. She started rolling over last week and once she figured it out, she rolled over and over and over. It takes her a while to go from back to front but today at day care she rolled herself 5 feet over to her toys. It took a half hour but still, I was impressed.

The past few weeks have been a little rough for her. One illness or allergic reaction after another. If I can remember right, it started with a cough. When we took her to the Dr. we found out she also had an ear infection and they gave her antibiotics. A few days later she had a rash head to toe and they told us to stop the antibiotics. The rash went away. A few days later she broke out in hives head to toe. We think it might be from rice cereal. When the Dr. looked at her hives we found out she had the ear infection again. They gave her a new antibiotic. The antibiotic caused a yeast infection and thrush. They gave us Nystatin for the thrush. That made her vomit. About this same time I started weaning her off breast milk and onto formula. She had done fine with formula before but last week started having diarrhea. We thought she had a bug or stomach flu but now think it's because of the formula so we're going back to the "blue" can that she did okay on. She has one very sensitive system. I've been waiting to start oatmeal or any solids until the rash, hives, diaper rash and diarrhea go away, otherwise I won't know if she has an allergic reaction to the new food. We're supposed to wait a month before trying the rice cereal again. And NOW, her hair has started falling out so we're giving her liquid vitamins. At the rate it's falling out I'm wondering if she'll have any hair left by Easter. Unfortunately the mullet in back ISN'T falling out. I think I'll have to shave it off if that's the only hair left on her head.

As for breastfeeding, I had planned to do it for a few more months but I just can't do it anymore. Pumping requires too much time at work and my supply has been dimenishing. Right now half of her meals are formula and half are breast milk. Sometimes I get excited about the thought of not being tied down and having the option of going somewhere after work if I need to rather than rushing home to nurse. And then I have moments of guilt and feeling that I'm quitting too soon. If she didn't have such a sensitive stomach and system, I don't think I'd feel so guilty about it. But with all her allergic reactions and ear infections, I wonder if I'm not doing the right thing for her. Here are 2 quick videos to share with you the joys we experience every day. Now just to warn you, we aren't shaking the baby in the dancing video even though it looks a little like it. I didn't catch her when she was laughing at Ben making her dance but it's still a funny video.






I'm so hungry I could eat my big toe.

5 comments:

Micah and Beth said...

She's tooo cute! I love that last video. She's quite a talker. Don't feel guilty about the nursing thing. I can only imagine how hard it is to pump while at work. YOu could just nurse her at night and your body should make just enough for one feeding and you'd still get the bonding time without the hassle of pumping. Just an idea. I love to read what you're up to!

Curry Favor said...

carrie - i hope everything gets cleared up soon! georgia is super cute, mullet or not! :)

sarah

Sarah & Scott said...

that was me. i was posting under my husband's name and didn't realize it! oops!
sarah koehler hartley

amosclarkson said...

The videos are fun! Whatever you decide about breastfeeding she'll be just fine. You've done the crucial time frame of up to 6 months. Like Beth said, you could consider nursing at night and on weekends and your body would adjust after awhile if you still want that bonding time.

Kevin & Jenny said...

I love Georgia eating her toes... so cute! You have a great blog... I like to see what you are up to! Sounds like everything is going well.
--Jenny