Last weekend we had our first pig roast. One of Ben's friends had done this before and thought it would be fun to do one at our house. At the last minute, his very pregnant wife decided she'd rather him not drive 3 hours away for a pig roast...so he didn't come. Ben's other friends researched how to bury the pig, what to stuff it with and so forth. We found a you-tube video that showed how to do everything. Ben dug a big hole, got a fire going and covered the pig with the hot coals. His friends made the rub and the stuffing and we waited 12 hours to dig up the pig. The internet said it takes 10-12 hours but since you can't dig it up and check the temperature to see if it's ready, we thought it was better to let it cook for the full 12 hours (to be on the safe side).
Getting ready for the big unveiling....
Apparently 12 hours was too long. If you squint your eyes and look closely you can see that this was the head of the pig.
But don't feel too bad for us. The other side was juuuust right! The stuffing was perfect, the meat was tender and even though we lost 1/2 the pig, we still had plenty for left overs all week and I froze some for later. What I was most surprised by is that it tasted like Thanksgiving turkey. I was expecting ham but I later found out from someone at work that our pig wasn't cured so that's why it tasted like turkey.

Later that night we all sat around the fire where the pig had roasted (see top picture), made smores and listened to our talented friends play guitar.
New words this week: sock, "meow", poop (which will come in handy if she says it at the right time), toe, baby, soft, hat, and she can immitate an elephant (arm stretched out in the air). Also this week when she was looking at pictures she said "ma" when she saw her grandma and said "Ri" when she saw her cousin Riley.
But don't feel too bad for us. The other side was juuuust right! The stuffing was perfect, the meat was tender and even though we lost 1/2 the pig, we still had plenty for left overs all week and I froze some for later. What I was most surprised by is that it tasted like Thanksgiving turkey. I was expecting ham but I later found out from someone at work that our pig wasn't cured so that's why it tasted like turkey.
Later that night we all sat around the fire where the pig had roasted (see top picture), made smores and listened to our talented friends play guitar.
And now for some animal impressions...
New words this week: sock, "meow", poop (which will come in handy if she says it at the right time), toe, baby, soft, hat, and she can immitate an elephant (arm stretched out in the air). Also this week when she was looking at pictures she said "ma" when she saw her grandma and said "Ri" when she saw her cousin Riley.
3 comments:
The pig ash, er, I mean roast looks like it was so fun!
I will never forget the first pig roast I went to. They had it on a skewer rotating over a fire. I lost my appetite. I am glad it worked out for you guys.
Hi!
I'm not sure if you remember me...from Spec??? Anyway, I happen to stumble upon your blog from time to time...hope you don't mind!...and just think that Georgia is beautiful! I was on the Gymboree website and if you click on the newborn section the baby model resembles her! Just thought you might want to check it out. I'm sure there are differences I'm not seeing...but they look like twins! :)
Emily (Seelman) Schwengel...yep, I married Andrew Schwengel...it still shocks me! :)
Post a Comment