Monday, August 9, 2010

Expecting in February

Father's Day morning I took a pregnancy test and confirmed my suspicion that I might be pregnant. (My eyes had been twitching for 2 solid weeks from being so tired.)  I woke up Georgia and told her that Mommy had a baby in her belly.  She sleepily said, "Yeah, and I do too."  This is because I joke that she has a baby in her belly since her belly is so big. So I said, "No, I have a baby in my belly and you're going to be a big sister."  She said, "Oh, and you're going to be the baby's mommy." I agreed.  She continued, "and I'm going to be the baby's sister and Daddy is going to be the baby's monkey brother." All I could do was laugh.  I figured out that her 'Dora Big Sister' movie must say that Boots, Dora's sidekick who is a monkey, is the baby's monkey brother. So then we went downstairs to tell Ben Happy Father's Day.
 
I waited and waited for Georgia to tell him the news but she just talked about all kinds of random things that popped into her head. Then finally she said, "And I'm going to be a big sister." Ben said, "well, someday" because she talks about this quite a bit and has been wanting a little baby. She said, "and mommy has a baby in her belly."  Ben started to let her down gently and then paused and looked at me, I nodded my head.  It was the best Father's Day gift I think we'll ever be able to give him.

Now if you ask Georgia what she wants, she says a brother.  I have no idea why but it's the same answer every time. She even has us so convinced it's a boy that we forget that we don't actually know yet.  Ben just asked me this morning if I've been getting boy clothes and I thought he was just suggesting that he hoped it was a boy.  Then it dawned on him that we didn't actually know it was a boy.  He reassured me that he didn't care either way.  He said he's enjoyed having a girl so much that another one would just be one more to give him love and attention. Georgia is such a daddy's girl that she might be jealous of another girl getting his affection. She already tries to keep me out of the picture when he's around.

Ben was in Omaha working for the past 7 weeks. We only got to see him on a few weekends. Now that he's home, Georgia doesn't want to leave his side. I woke up yesterday morning and went downstairs where they were watching the Little Mermaid.  She told me to go take a nap.  She didn't want me taking away attention. Then we decided to go see our neighbor's baby goats. Georgia told me to stay at the house and only she and daddy were going. Even Maximus was jealous. I went over to give Ben a hug and Maximus stood between us so I couldn't get near Ben. I think it feels good to Ben that he was missed. Today he kept Georgia home from daycare and she's running errands with him, checking on job sites, visiting his school, etc.

3 comments:

Micah and Beth said...

That's a perfect way to tell Ben about the baby! I bet his expression was priceless! I'm so excited for you all!

amosclarkson said...

Love the picture!!! Eli was right about Anna being a girl so I think kiddos some how "know"...so Georgia is right, I think :)

Bill, Lauren, Will and Caroline said...

I love the pic of you and Georgia. So very excited for you and your family.
Lauren