Friday, February 18, 2011

Joseph Anthony Fluegge

The Fluegges are a foursome now. Saturday night I was feeling some contractions but didn't pay too much attention since I'd had contractions for many weeks. When I realized that I was being woken up with them and they actually hurt, I thought maybe I should check the clock. They were 6 minutes apart and on the 3rd time I checked the clock, I felt my water break. (2:30am) Since Georgia's birth was a schedule induction, it was pretty hard for me to believe that I was actually going into labor. This wasn't a part of my plan. Georgia was very excited. I went into the bathroom and she came in and asked me if the baby was here. I told her we had to go to the hospital and she went to my closet and brought me my Jessica Simpson wedge heels with the leapord print lining...her favorite...and wanted me to wear them. I suppose she felt like this was a special occassion that deserved wearing pretty shoes. I opted for tennis shoes.

We all headed to the hospital and Georgia was great entertainment to keep us distracted. (3:30 am) Fortunately my dad came to get her before my pain got worse. I let the nurses know as soon as I got there that I was already at a 3 and to call for the epidural. Unfortunately the resident working on me had some difficulties, put the epidural in a vein the first time and made my blood pressure 70/30 and my heart rate 185 at the same time. The next 2 times were misses so the anesthesiologist took over and got it in. Meanwhile my contractions were about a minute apart so this was all in all, not a very pleasant experience. (4:30 am) The next 20 minutes while I waited for the epidural to take effect were pretty intense both because of the pain and the fear that the epidural wasn't going to work. I sure don't know why women choose not to get those. Finally the pain was gone. (5:00) The nurse checked me and asked if I was ready to push. Um...No. It was all happening so fast. I asked if I had to start pushing or if I could rest for a while. My body was tired from the pain and I'd only been asleep for about 2 hours before my water broke. She said I could. I started pushing at 6:30 and told them they should probably get the doctor in there because Georgia had come out pretty fast. The actual birth was so relaxing and calm. The new rooms at the hospital were beautiful, the lights were dimmed, it was quiet and I didn't have pain. Joe was born at 7:26 am. 7lbs 3oz, 20.5 inches. He's in the 25th percentile for weight and head and 75th for height.



This time around has been so much different than when I had Georgia. I feel so much better, even went home a day early. Joe took to nursing right away and has been a big eater. He sleeps great and pretty much only cries when he has a wet diaper. He hasn't woken us up in the night, I just wake him to eat and he either goes right back to sleep or lays awake until he falls asleep. He couldn't be a better baby. He hasn't even peed on me.




Georgia was so excited to see Googy. She is constantly cuddling, touching and kissing him. It's a bit too much and I said, "Can you stop touching him?" and she sadly and honestly replied, "I can't." She really loves him so much.






check out the dimples

1 comment:

amosclarkson said...

Congrats! Second time around is great, isn't it? Love his dimples.