My dad is the pastor at his church and sends out a monthly e-mail of "pastoral ponderings". This one brought back nice memories of Georgia's birth and in the spirit of the holiday season I thought I'd share on our blog what he wrote.
"In August I was in Atlanta and received the word that our daughter, Carrie, was scheduled to deliver her baby the day I was returning home. The delivery was going to occur at St Luke's hospital. She was going to receive her epidural at 7:30 a.m. so she would deliver sometime around eight hours later. If my plane arrived on time I would be there before she delivered. Sarah, our other daughter, Carrie's husband and his Dad would be there if I did not get there on time.
All went as planned and I arrived on time. Carrie was doing fine. She was watching t.v. while having contractions. The room was sanitized; the temperature was set for Carrie's comfort. She was under good care with the trained OB nurses and physician. Relatives and baby showers ensured the baby had all she needed-baby bed, changing table, car seat and more clothes than she could possibly ever wear.
2000 years ago the scene was quite different. There was no room in the Inn. The barn wasn't sanitary with the dirty farm animals walking about. Only rags were available to wrap the baby. There wasn't even a donkey seat for the ride from Bethlehem. The only family available was an uncertain Joseph and some men that smelled like the sheep they had been tending.
I am sure glad that nurses and a doctor were waiting on Carrie at a level III OB hospital on that hot August day. I am glad that Carrie had loving family members present. She didn't have to worry about mice running around and insects that had to be swatted. I am sure Carrie's husband was glad he didn't have to deliver the baby himself.
Maybe when we get frustrated at Christmas time because there are no close parking places at the mall, of the long check out lines, crying babies in the department stores, angry people who cannot find that one gift that will make their child happy we can think back to that first Christmas. Maybe Christmas today is not so bad after all.
One wonders though why God couldn't have planned it so it was just a bit easier for everyone-- like having his son born to a nice married couple, born at a time when there were level III OB hospitals, born to a family that had some stature in society, born in a culture that was not under oppression.
But maybe God is wondering why, after 2000 years, are we so stressed out over parking spaces, long lines at department stores, finding that "perfect" gift; and why we still think spending more than we can afford will bring happiness.
Maybe God knew what he was doing and is still working on us........
By the tender mercy of our God, the dawn from on high will break upon us, to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace. Luke 1:79
For a child has been born for us, a son given to us; authority rests upon his shoulders; and he is named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6"
No comments:
Post a Comment