Thursday, June 26, 2008

Breckenridge, CO


Last weekend we went to Breckenridge for a friend's wedding. This was a 4 day vacation that the couple planned for their friends but we called it our honeymoon since we never took one.


We left Georgia with my parents and while I was dropping her off, my sister stopped by with her kids to go swimming. It used to be that when they came in a room they'd yell "CARRIE" and run over to hug me. When the door opened this time they yelled "GEORGIA" and ran right past me to hug and kiss Georgia.


We drove to Breckenridge and for the first time ever, I passed the Wiener Mobile so I told Ben to take a picture. What I thought was most interesting about this was that it was a guy and a girl about our age driving the giant hotdog and as each car passed, they smiled and waved. It looked like so much fun. If you're going to drive around and see the country, why not get paid to do it? I suggested this might be fun to do when we retire.



We got to Breckenridge Wed night and were taken to the house that we were staying in. Everyone paid a small amount to the couple to help with expenses and they provided our house and food for our whole stay.
They had names on the doors for who stayed in which rooms. Somehow we ended up with the suite. We certainly didn't complain but felt a little guilty that we paid the same amount as everyone else.


Here's the bathroom with the fireplace separating the rooms. I tried out the jaccuzzi tub the morning that everyone else went white water rafting. For those of you who are like me and aren't use to this luxury, there's a reason why it says to fill the water ABOVE the jets.... because if you don't, you'll be wiping the water off all the walls like I did.


Oh, and as a side note, in case you noticed that I said I was the only one who didn't go white water rafting, and maybe you are thinking that I was a chicken and should have gone.... well I thought that a little too until I heard that someone died that day just a few miles up from where our group was.
Here's the view from our balcony outside our room. What you can't appreciate from a photo is the perfect temperature that it was out there. Cool enough for pants but still warm enough for shorts.


Living room, kitchen to the left and our room up the stairs.


From outside our room we could see the whole main floor and down to the basement. There were about 15 of us that stayed at this house. We only knew one couple when we went but made some good friends while we were there.



Strange lamp made from wood. I like everything except for the little wood antenae type things coming out of the lampshade.



In the basement there was a movie theater, pool table, poker table, fuzeball table, and hot tub outside. Some of the guys there are in a band together so one night we all sat around and listened to them play until 2 am. Those are the kinds of things that are fun and that you don't get to do much once you're married with kids. I greatly appreciated that we had a babysitter so we didn't have to worry about getting to bed and waking up early.

Front of the house.


View from the deck.



And now for some updates on Georgia. In addition to "dada", she now says "mama" and "no no no" on a regular basis. There are also several words that she can repeat but doesn't use them on her own. As of this week she has started army crawling and getting into the sitting position on her own. This is nice so that she doesn't just cry when she is laying down and wants to sit up. She really likes books now. She can turn the pages one at a time with her finger and studies all the pictures. If we sit her on our lap and show her a book, she lays back and wants to be read to. This is a fun age. We go through book after book and she really enjoys it. She has one in particular that is her favorite and everytime we start to read it she gets a huge smile on her face. And right before I start to read "peekaboo, I see you" she gets excited because she knows I'm about to say it.

2 comments:

amosclarkson said...

Looks like you had a great time! Eli likes books, too, and likes to turn pages and slide his hand down the page to make it squeak :) He's not saying "no" yet, though!

Sutton Family said...

I must say I am very jealous of your trip. We have yet to go on a honeymooon also. Sounds like you had a blast. Georgia is beautiful. I can't believe she has gotten so big already. Time goes by so fast. We should try and get together sometime.

Emily