Sunday, September 14, 2008

We went up to Iowa for Ben's sister's 16th birthday party. Three of the six grandkids were there so we got some pictures.


When Ben and his siblings were kids they used to take pictures laying down with their heads touching like this. Here's the next generation.




Here's our cowgirl.



Here's our sleep update. After a few nights of Georgia screaming her lungs out until she finally got her way and got me to take her out of her room (and then she'd immediately go to sleep), I decided I had to break her of thinking that if she cried hard enough and long enough, she'd get her way. So a few nights ago I rocked her for a while, read a book and then put her in her crib. Earlier in the day I had put some sleeping bags down on her floor and made myself a "bed". I laid on her floor while she cried and threw a fit in her crib. After about 30 minutes she wore out and went to sleep. She still woke in the night but this time, instead of picking her up, I laid on her floor and told her to lay down. She cried for about 10-15 minutes and went to sleep. We did the same routine the next night and the crying was significantly less and she went to sleep quicker. The next night, however, is when we were in Iowa. Trying out our new routine in a new location didn't go over so well. She cried and cried hard for about 2 hours while I laid in the room with her. I was definitely tempted to take her back downstairs and hangout with everyone else but I was afraid that if I gave in then she'd want to go downstairs in the middle of the night when she woke up. But the good news is that we're back home and she's doing great with the routine. The past 2 nights she's barely cried when I put her in her bed and she lays down when I tell her to. Once she's asleep, I sneak out and go to my bed. I think in a few more days I'll be able to put her in the bed and leave the room before she's asleep. I also discovered tonight that she got one of her upper molars in so that might have been part of her problem.

2 comments:

Sarah & Scott said...

ok...the cowboy boots are tooo cute. they got a giggle out of me! and it's so good to hear the sleep updates. i'm glad she's doing better!

Party of Five said...

I know those crying spells are tough, but GREAT JOB on sticking to your guns!!