Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Visit to the ENT

I took Georgia to the ENT yesterday and I was very impressed with him. He walked in and right away he noticed how Georgia breathes funny. He asked me how long she's breathed that way and I said all her life. Her pediatrician has never shown any concern even though we all have though it was odd. She almost seems as if she's holding her breath and then exhales through her mouth like she's out of breath, or very congested. The ENT thinks she has a milk allergy. He checked her ears and found that her ear infection never went away even though she just finished her antibiotics on Friday. She still has fluid in her ears which can be caused by a milk allergy. He also noticed that her cheeks are red and chapped and said that also could be from a milk allergy. He said to cut all dairy from her diet for the next 2 weeks and not to feed her anything 2 hours before bedtime other than water. As I recently mentioned on the blog, cheese is Georgia's FAVORITE food and she throws a fit and reaches for the cottage cheese container and/or yogurt container. The doctor said that food allergies can make you crave the food that you're allergic to. If you eat it, you want more of it and all the time. It's like an addiction.

So now she's on ANOTHER antibiotic. He wants to see if he can get this cleared up before we decide to do surgery. If it truly is a milk allergy causing all of this, then I don't think she'll need tubes. He said that we could give her soy milk but I later remembered that she had problems with soy formula and we had to take her off it so I'm hesitant to give her soy milk. Georgia is not happy with me at all for taking away her milk. When I give her her sippy cup with water in it she throws it on the floor. This morning she was hitting me and pinching my face in a very angry way. I think part of it was because her ears hurt and the other part was because she wanted her milk, which is what I usually give her to comfort her.

I've been fighting a cold since Christmas and now that I'm done with my deadline at work I finally could take a day off to rest. My cold kept getting worse each day so I finally went to the dr yesterday and found out I have bronchitis and am on the verge of an ear infection. I started antibiotics last night and I'm feeling a little better today but my cough is still pretty rough and hurts from my stomach to my throat. I just hope we don't get Ben sick.

1 comment:

Sarah & Scott said...

carrie - did the doctor say you could try rice milk? they have that "rice dream" stuff at whole foods. maybe that would work. i can't remember if you said Georgia had any problems with rice. how frustrating. poor thing!