Now that we're pretty much a single income family while Ben is in school, I've been looking for ways to save money or make money last a little longer. A friend recently told me about http://www.moneysavingmom.com/ (sorry Lauren if I'm letting the secret out) that is a blog for mom's trying to save money. Every day there are updates on stores running sales, links to printable coupons, freebies around town, and instructions on how to do everything. Georgia is getting over having croup so I kept her home from daycare today. I thought since I'm home today this would be a good day to try out this website. The one store that seems to be best for us because of location and what they sell is CVS. The blog today instructed me to buy 3 Kashi products for $10, get $5 back in CVS bucks, click on a link to print 3 $1.50 coupons and end up spending $0.17 for each product. Then it said that CVS also had ink pens for $2 and get $2 back in CVS bucks so then it's totally free. My last visit to CVS gave me a coupon for $3 off a $15 purchase and a total of $4 in CVS bucks which I used to buy diapers. This blog also reminded me that today is Free Iced Mocha Monday at McDonald's. Since I'd never had one, I decided to go get my free mocha. I personally wouldn't recommend spending money for one but you can't beat trying one for free. So I came home pretty excited about my first day of bargain shopping and decided to hand wash my car while Georgia took her nap. It was long overdue and I couldn't bare the thought of spending $15+ to go to a carwash. So I figure I saved around $35 today.
I said that we're now a single income family but what I should say is that we are periodically a single income family. I have to give a LOT of credit to Ben. Not only is he taking 36 credit hours per trimester, waking up at 4:00 am to study so that he can spend some of his evening with his family, but he is also currently working on a flip. He bought a small house near ours and "in his free time" is feverishly working on remodeling it to get it back on the market. He's always said sleeping is a waste of time; there are so many more things he could get done if he didn't have to sleep.
Here's Georgia on the job site. Since the house Ben is flipping is close by, we've been stopping over there a couple times a day. Uncle Dave thought of a fun play area to keep Georgia entertained.

Ben's dad is in town to help. Not only is he a HUGE help to Ben to get this house done and back on the market but Georgia has loved having Grandpa around.

Last week my friend Mandy called asked if I wanted to meet her at the mall for a playdate. Georgia got her first ride on a carousel. She loved it and cried a bit when I told her we had to leave. Okay, I lied and told her we had to go pay for another ride and then distracted her when we got off so that she'd forget about the carousel.

Georgia doesn't like to ride in strollers so I didn't bother bringing ours. However Mandy had this very cool stoller that allowed all three kids to ride together and Georgia could stand. She thought this was fun.

We went to the play area of the mall where they have cars and things to climb on. Twenty or so kids were running around climbing on fake roads and cars and flowers, crawling through tunnels and sliding down the hills. My kid went straight for the shoe cubby and started trying on all the other kids' shoes.
Later we went to Barnes and Noble to read books. Georgia was more interested in organizing the stuffed animals. I don't know if this is normal toddler behavior or a little bit of OCD.

Georgia Funnies:
I've been teaching Georgia her name in case she ever gets lost or something. She knows it but unfortunately no one will be able to tell what she's saying because it comes out as "Jaja Fugy". The other day I asked her what Daddy's name is. She said "Daddy Fluegge."
Georgia has croup but it only bothers her when she sleeps. Yesterday she was coughing so hard when she laid down for her nap and she could hardly get her breath. In the cutest, sad voice she said, "Mommy, I need help".
4 comments:
I'll have to try out the money saving blog! Love the picture of the organized stuffed animals and that Georgia was more interested in the shoes! Sounds a lot like Grady at that age. Keep the updates coming...you know I'm a faithful reader!
P.S. As a result of one of your earlier posts, I feel guilty every time I use two paper towels to dry my hands. Good work.
Funny about organizing the stuffed animals :) I'll be interested to see how the CVS thing works out. I know a couple of other people doing it. My issue is that I have a hard time buying stuff we don't really need/want to save money on something else, ya know? It's also about stocking up on stuff that you will need when on sale and planning ahead. Sometimes hard to do!!
Oh, a couple other websites for bargains are:
http://cuttingcouponsinkc.blogspot.com/
http://kansascityonthecheap.com/
She is so cute! I think she is ready to do some contruction work-I think its just a matter of time before she will have a hard hat on!
Post a Comment